Xander watched Wintermoon sleep for a moment before he did his final checks of their ekele for the night. He was still amazed the five years had passed since their bonding ceremony.

It hadn't been an easy five years, but, all in all, a good five years. The joys had definitely outweighed the sorrows, even if those sorrows had been almost more than they could bear.

Starblade and Kethra had passed in Kal'enel's arms two winters ago. The elderly couple had gone to sleep one evening and had simply never woken up. Xander and Wintermoon both agreed it how they wanted to go. Many, many years in the future.

Grief had formed an unshakable bond between Darkwind and Ghost. They held each other up and helped each other through the worst of the mourning. Hyllarr, Starblade's bond bird, hadn't passed with his bond mate. He'd come to Ghost instead. Starblade had asked him to bond to Ghost when he passed. The eagle hawk had refused at first, but Starblade worn him down. It was now a common sight to see the huge bond bird drifting from tree to tree, following his tiny bond mate wherever she went.

Starblade had been teaching Ghost, since it had become apparent that she would be an incredibly strong mage. Firesong and Darkwind had taken over her training after his passing. She definitely kept the two men on their toes. Xander snickered to himself every time he thought about how the young girl had brought the two men together.

They'd been teaching her how to build shields around another mage when she struck. She threw up a shield neither man could break through and left them there. -After- she'd informed them that the only way out was for them to admit how they felt about each other. Firesong had ranted and raved while Darkwind sulked. Iceblade and Autumnwing had tried to take down the shield but failed. Then they tried to convince Ghost to take it down. She had refused. Loudly.

The two mages managed to hold out for almost two days before they gave in and talked. The shield dropped quietly; unnoticed by the two men it had been holding prisoner. They were too busy trying to kiss each other into a coma. Wintermoon had gotten a great deal of enjoyment out of the entire episode.

Xander glanced into his daughter's room. She was in her usual position. Flat on her back, spread eagle, blankets and pillows on the floor. Xander covered her back up but knew it wouldn't last. It never did. Ghost was ten now, still tiny, but already a match for most of the mages in the Vale. She got stronger everyday. It frightened many people in the Vale, so they'd moved their ekele away from the others. As far as they could go and still remain inside the K'Sheyna boundries. He and Wintermoon had discussed moving outside the Vale, but then the boys had arrived. All five of them.

Xander moved down the hall to check on the boys and stepped on something hard. He bit off a curse. Hopping on one foot he picked up the offending object. Xander sighed and began collecting the scattered toys. He tiptoed into the room next to Ghost's and quietly set the toys in the huge chest next to the door. Then the sorting began.

They had tried, numerous times, to get the boys to sleep in their own beds; but eventually gave it up as a lost cause. They insisted on sleeping together in a jumble of arms and legs. Xander finally got them all going the same direction and tucked the blankets back in around them. Farlan, the smallest of the bunch, opened his eyes and raised his arms up for a hug. Xander cuddled him close for a moment, then kissed his head and tucked him back in. "It's late." He whispered. "Go back to sleep." Farlan grinned and buried his head back under the covers. He was asleep in seconds. Xander shook his head in amusement. Any of the kids could go from bouncing off the walls to comatose in a heartbeat. He sent up a silent prayer of thanks to Kal'enel and Vkandis for the boys, Ghost and Wintermoon. His family meant everything to him. He'd very nearly killed humans to get the boys.

***********

Ghost was playing by the spring when the vision struck and she screamed. Xander, Wintermoon and half the Vale raced to her side. Her face was incredibly pale and she was shaking badly. She tried to talk, but couldn't get the words out. Xander tried to calm her down, but she wouldn't listen. /Daddy. You have to go. Now. Hurry. She's dying and they'll be next./

"Who Ghost? Who's dying?"

/Their mommy./ Ghost wrapped both of her hands around Xander's face and literally 'shoved' the information into his head. He kissed her then handed her off to Wintermoon. He kissed Wintermoon and held him tightly for a moment. "I'll be back as soon as I can. Ghost will explain. I have to hurry. Love you."

He had run for the nearest clearing, Tarlac met him there. The two friends launched themselves into the air and left the Vale behind.

/NightHawk, where are we headed?/ Tarlac asked, sounding only mildly curious.

/Hardorn./ Xander quickly filled the Gryphon in. Ghost had had a vision of a woman dying, trying to protect her children. The woman had been caught in a change circle during the storms and become something other than human. She had become pregnant soon after, not yet realizing the full extent of the damage done to her body. Once the children were born, the change was obvious. They were shapeshifters, all of them. The woman had taken her children and fled from her village. Somehow, she had managed to keep them all alive and out of sight for almost two years. But now, she'd been found and the villagers who'd found her were trying to kill her to get to the children.

Tarlac, like most Gryphons, had an overwhelming love of family. The idea that -children- were being threatened because they were different filled him with rage. Their anger fueling them, the trip to Hardorn was sure to be a short one.

Next Part