Kal'enel looked at Xander with a deadly serious expression on her face. "Are you quite certain Xander? You may take more time to decide."

"Time isn't really something we have a lot of." He raised the hand Ghost was clutching. "This is Ghost. Her family was killed by vampires a couple of months ago, and now she can't speak. I can hear her mindspeech, but no one else can.The longer we wait, the more kids there are going to be without parents." He shrugged, "There's not really anything else to think about. I can do something to stop it. If I don't, them I'm just as responsible as the monsters. So let's just get this part over with."

"I am pleased Xander. You show a wisdom beyond your years. Very well then, let us begin. Make yourself comfortable. I need to take you out of your mind so that we may speak with your guardians face to face. Do not be afraid, nothing may harm you on the Moonpaths while I am with you."

Xander sat on the ground, holding Ghost on his lap. /You hear her Ghost?/ She nodded her head, dark eyes never straying from his face. /Okay, you keep an eye on my body for me while I'm gone. I might be a little different when I get back, but don't be scared./

/I won't be, I promise. I'll take good care of you while you're on the Moonpaths./

/Thanks Ghost. I knew I could count on you./ "Okay Kal'enel. I'm ready."

She laid her hand on his head and suddenly he was somewhere else. Everything was gray. There was no sky or ground, just a never ending gray. Kal'enel appeared before him and pointed to his left. He turned to see the soldier standing next to him. He looked like Xander, but older and harder. Xander started to speak to him, but heard a growl coming from behind him. He slowly turned to face the beast.

It was a hyena, but it wasn't like the ones he'd seen on TV or that fateful day at the zoo. This one was bigger, a lot bigger. The top of it's head came up to the middle of his chest. It's eyes were so dark he couldn't tell if they had an iris or were all pupil. The most shocking thing was the amount of intelligence in those eyes. This was no dumb animal.

He reached out one hand to it, wanting to touch the thing that had tormented him with visions of blood and violence. He stumbled back when the beast he'd feared for so long rubbed against him like a cat. All the while, making a rumbling noise deep in it's chest that he found oddly comforting.

Xander grinned and scratched it's head, almost falling on his butt when it tried to get even closer. The soldier caught him under the arms and pushed him back onto his feet. "Damned dog. Don't know why you keep that thing around."

Xander snorted rudely, "Same reason I keep you around asshole. I don't know how to get rid of you."

"Get rid of me? I'm not the one who makes you want to go out and eat people."

"No, you just want to go out and shoot guns or work out, usually when I was trying to have some fun with Anya. Do you have any idea how distracting it is to suddenly have the operating specs for an M-1A Bradley pop into your head when you're trying to get your girlfriend naked?"

The anger is Xander's voice caused the soldier to step back. He refused to look Xander in the eye. "I'm sorry. The Army is the only thing I know, when you do those things, it makes me feel funny. I can't control it."

Xander felt like he'd just kicked a puppy. "Hey man, it's no big deal now. Ancient history. We have bigger things to worry about, not whether or not I get lucky."

Xander looked down at the Hyena, happily drooling on his shoes. "And you. Why do you want to make me go out and hurt people, huh?" Shocked didn't begin to cover his feelings when he got his answer.

The Hyena looked him right in the eye, and spoke. "My cub, my pack. All others gone. Must protect. Must teach. Cub must learn to fight or die. No mercy for prey."

Kal'enel had been waiting patiently for just this opportunity. "It is good to protect and to teach. But not all are prey."

The Hyena interposed itself between Xander and Kal'enel. "Know you, Night Eyes. Cub is mine, not yours. Strongest and fastest leads the pack. Cub must learn before he makes new pack. All are prey for the pack."

Xander finally understood. The Hyena wasn't actually being cruel, it was just lonely without it's pack and wanted him to start a new one. It was going to get it's wish, in spades. He grabbed the Hyena by the jaws and forced it to meet his eyes. "These people, Her people, are not prey. They are part of the pack now. We will hunt the things that want to hurt our pack. Do you understand?"

The Hyena gave it's characteristic laugh, "Cub has grown, ready now. We will hunt the hunters, and make them prey to the pack. We hunt now?"

Kal'enel joined Xander, kneeling in front of the beast. "Not yet. Our pack is very large, there are many to protect. You must meet them, so you will know them. You will be able to hunt soon."

"No more cage? Can't hunt in cage."

Xander shook his head, "No more cage, ever. I promise."

"That's just great. What about me? I don't like that damned dog." the soldier snarled.

Kal'enel turned to him, hoping he would agree to her plan without a fight. "I can separate you from the others. Give you a physical form. But not as a man, as one of my Avatars. You will still be a part of Xander, but able to act on your own."

"But not as a man. What will I be then?"

"A hawk, one that befits one that hunts in the shadows. The sky will be yours and you will be like none before you."

"A hawk, huh? And I'll still have all of my memories?"

"Yes, all of them. Your form will not dictate your mind."

"Then I agree. Can you do it now?"

Kal'enel smiled. "I will merge Xander with the Hyena, and take them back to the physical plane. Then I will call you and you will be reborn."

The soldier fought back the urge to salute, instead saying simply, "I'll be waiting."

Xander's spirit returned to his body and he opened his eyes to a new world. Everything was brighter and sharper. Colors that before had been only 'green' or 'red' now took on all new shades. A slight movement out of the corner of his eye caught his attention. He turned to see a hummingbird feeding on the nectar of a honeysuckle vine. The vine grew on the other side of the clearing, at least 50 yards away, but he saw every detail. The long tongue, ruby red feathers circling it's throat and the way it hovered and danced.

Sight wasn't the only thing affected. His hearing and sense of smell were greatly magnified. Processing all this new information came thoughtlessly. Every sound and smell recognized and filed away for the future.

Ghost's scent was immediately recognized as 'cub', his cub. Not his by blood, but by responsibility and duty. Maybe even love. Xander buried his nose in her hair, breathing deeply. Now matter where she went he would always be able to find her. No matter how she changed as she grew, he would always recognize her by this alone.

Ghost stared wide eyed at her friend, his eyes had changed, becoming mostly pupil and then shrinking down to pinpoints as the sun light hit them. She didn't move as he started smelling her, some part of her realizing that this was important. To both of them.

Xander finally raised his head, a rumbling noise coming from his chest. Ghost tucked her head under his chin to hear it better. The deep vibrations tickled and she giggled, smiling happily. /Xander./

/Yeah Ghost./

She looked up at him and shrugged, unable to tell him what she felt. He understood anyway. He smiled down at her, /Me too./

/Can I stay with you?/ she asked quietly.

/Yep./

/Good. Can we have our own house?/

Xander laughed and hugged her tighter, /I'll see what I can do./ He looked up at Kal'enel, who stood smiling down at the pair of them, "What do we do now?"

"Now we introduce you to the other Gods. The child should not be here for this. She may find it disturbing."

"You're the boss." Xander stood, still holding Ghost in his arms, and took her to Wintermoon. "Would you take her to our room for me?"

Wintermoon reached for the child and cuddled her against his chest, "Of course Xander. I am glad to be of service."

Xander was disturbed by the deferential tone in Wintermoon's voice, now wasn't the time to get into it, but he wasn't going to let it go. "Thanks, I need to talk to you later. You going to be around?"

"I shall stay with the child, you will find me there." Wintermoon nodded at Kal'enel and left the clearing, Ghost staring at Xander from over his shoulder until they disappeared from sight.

Xander turned back to face the Goddess, and squared his shoulders. "Okay, I'm ready. Bring 'em on."

Kal'enel said nothing, merely closed her eyes and raised her arms to the sky. "I, Kal'enel, the Star-Eyed, do summon the Gods to meet their Champion!"

A bright sunbeam caressed her face, growing brighter and brighter until Xander couldn't stand to look at it. He blinked rapidly, trying to clear the spots from his eyes. When his vision returned, he was greeted by the sight of what could only be a God. Tall, with golden skin and eyes that looked into him, more than at him.

Vkandis, the Sun God of Karse and Iftel, studied the one who would become their champion against the darkness. He was pleased by what he found. Skill and knowledge back by a stubborn determination and an iron will. This one would not fold, nor break under the pressure. He turned his eyes to Kal'enel, "You have chosen well Beloved." His smiled at his mate and chosen Consort, "I knew this task was best suited to thee."

Kal'enel returned his smile fondly, happy to see him once again, their duties keeping them too often apart. "Vkandis, I am pleased you agree, do you then grant him your blessings and aid?"

Vkandis once more gazed upon the young mortal, who stared back fearlessly. "I do." He approached Xander and laid his hand upon that dark head in benediction. "Well met, Champion. My aid and favor I give freely. My people will not hinder your quest, but will also grant what aid they may give thee. In thy service I place my priests, all will know you by my mark and my gift."

Vkandis reached out his other hand and caught a sunbeam as easily as a mother catches her child. The sunbeam grew bigger and stronger until it had taken solid form. In his hand, Vkandis now held a short golden spear. It was half of Xander's height with a four sided point on one end and a curved blade on the other. Draped around the shaft was a golden disk, suspended from a golden chain.

Vkandis placed the medallion around Xander's neck. "This, then, is my mark. Wear it always." He then held the spear out for Xander to take. A sensation of warmth ran up Xander's arm when he laid his hand on the shaft. "This weapon carries with it my power, the power of the Sun. Everyday you must raise it in my name and my honor, thus it's power will never fade."

Xander nodded solemnly, for once aware of the fact that he stood before a God. "Thank you. I will do as you say."

"Farewell then, Champion. If you need me, stand in the Sun and call my name. I will come." Vkandis turned to face his love once more, "Kal'enel, I miss thee. And long for the day when we may once again be as one."

She nodded once, watching him turn back into a shaft of pure light, but did not give voice to her feelings. It did no good for mortals to see a Goddess cry.

Xander recognized the pain on Kal'enel's face, he'd been there himself, too many times. "Are you okay?" he asked softly.

She gifted him with a tremulous smile, "Yes. It is an old pain. One I am accustomed to. We should continue, there is still much to do." She closed her eyes and reached out for the spirit that aided the Heralds of Valdemar. She felt it's presence move over her, *What do you seek Star-Eyed?*

*We have found a Champion to fight the Darkness threatening all of our lands. Will you grant him your aid?*

Xander started when he felt a foreign presence enter his mind. It examined him minutely, recognizing all of his faults as well as his strengths. He heard it tell Kal'enel what it had found. *We find him worthy of our aid. And with our blessings, a gift to aid him in his cause.* Xander felt it moving through his mind like lightening, changing and strengthening paths as it passed. All of his memories became clear. Every thought, every lesson he hadn't realized he'd learned, all were available to him as he wished. He also realized his mind's capacity, it was infinite. He could find no limits to his ability to learn.

And then came the knowledge. Who and what the Companions and their Heralds were, and the ties that bound them together. And languages, from every corner of this world. Even the languages of the demons who'd so recently came here. He could understand them all. He stammered his thanks, knowing there was no way he could ever repay this gift.

*You are welcome, Alexander Harris. And well come. Your fight against the Darkness is thanks enough. All of my children will know you and aid you. We will meet again.*

Xander felt the presence withdraw from his mind, leaving an incredible sense of wellbeing in it's wake. He grinned irrepressibly at Kal'enel, "That was a good. Got any more presents for me?"

The Star-Eyed nodded, "Yes, my gift and my mark. But it should be witnessed by the people."

She sent out the call, and every living being inhabiting the K'Sheyna Vale answered that call. The clearing surrounding the Heartstone was filled to the brim with people, Gryphons, Hertasi, Dyheli and what seemed to be hundreds of birds. Wintermoon and Ghost managed to push their way to the front to stand as close to Xander as they could.

Kal'enel's clear voice rang out, "Listen my people and heed my words. Alexander Harris has been chosen as the Champion of the land and all it's peoples. You will grant him your aid in his fight against the Darkness as you are able. All will know him by my mark."

She laid her hand on his shoulder and the buckskin clothes he had borrowed from Wintermoon turned as black as the night, while his hair grew down to the middle of his back. Kal'enel braided a strand of hair on each side of his face, binding them with small ceramic disks bearing the mark of all of the clans. Granting him free passage and aid where ever she held sway.

She stepped back, and lifted one arm to the sky, "And now for my gift."

The scream of a hawk shattered the silence and the soldier answered her call.

A hawk, fully the size of a bonded eagle, dove out of the sun and landed on her arm. None had ever seen it's like.

It's feathers were a dull black, as were it's hooked beak and talons. It's eyes were a reflection of her own.

She transferred the hawk from her arm to Xander's shoulder and told him, "As is the custom of my people, when one gains his bond bird, his name is changed to reflect his new status. From this day forward, you will be known to the people as NightHawk."

The expression on her face as she faded from view could only be described as a smirk.

**********

Xander felt the heat rising up from his face when Kal'enel gave him his new name. The last time he'd used that identity still fresh in his mind, and just as embarrassing. Flustered, he fumbled with Vkandis's Spear, the weight of the bond bird on his shoulder adding to his clumsiness. Something had to go.

/Um, Soldier? Is it okay for me to call you that?/

/Might as well, it's as good a name as any./

/Would you, uh, that is...oh hell. Could you get off of my shoulder before you dislocate it please?/ Xander sent to the bird in embarrassed exasperation.

/I'm not sure if I can take off from here. Let me move down and you give me a boost, Okay?/

/Yeah, just hurry. I can't feel my arm any more./

Soldier carefully side-stepped down Xander's arm, mindful of the inch long talons on the end of his feet. He made it about half way when the arm supporting him began to shake. Someone set a large perch directly in front of Xander and Soldier moved over to it. Both of them letting out a sigh of relief.

Xander's and Soldier's heads whipped around at the same time and in much the same fashion to see who their benefactor was. The elderly man laughed when he saw their matching moves and reactions. This was definitely a good bond.

"Heyla. I am Starblade, one of the mages of this Vale. My apologies for not greeting you earlier NightHawk, but you have had a busy few days."

The old man's smile was too hard to refuse, Xander had to return it. "Thanks for that." he said, pointing to the perch. "I thought my arm was about to fall off."

Starblade nodded in understanding, "I, too, have a very large bond bird, Hyllarr. I know the feeling, but I would not trade him for all the world. If it would be agreeable with you, there are things you should know about bond birds and how to care for them."

"That would probably be a good, he's only been a bird for a few minutes and I'm not sure he knows that much either."

/Not a lot, to be honest. But I am hungry. Hey, I don't have to eat bird seed do I?/ Soldier sent indignantly.

Starblade felt his brows rise up to meet his hair line when he heard the hawk mindspeak. "I am sorry, but I don't understand. He was not always a bird?"

Xander and Soldier shared a look, wondering how much to tell the old man, and deciding, that in this case at least, honesty was the best policy. So Xander, with Soldier's help, explained who he was, how he came to be a hawk and why.

Starblade shook his head, "The Star-Eyed's wonders are many, but I believe more practical help is needed here. Please, come to my ekele, I will give you both all of the help that I can. The fact that both of you mindspeak so clearly will be of great help." Starblade saw Wintermoon and a small child approaching, obviously heading for NightHawk. He smiled at his son, their relationship much better these days than it had been in the not so distant past.

"Heyla, Wintermoon. It is good to see you again my son. And who is your friend?"

Wintermoon hugged his father briefly, "It is good to see you also Father." He turned to urge Ghost up where Starblade could see her better. "This is Ghost. She is the child we scouts found three moons ago. Ghost, this is my father, Starblade."

Starblade smiled at the girl, remembering hearing about the attack and the fact the girl could not speak. "Heyla Ghost. NightHawk and I are going to my ekele for some lunch and so I can teach him how to care for his bond bird. Would you and Wintermoon like to join us?"

Ghost nodded shyly and ducked behind Xander, peeking out at the old man from her refuge.

Wintermoon smiled at Ghost's antics, the more time he spent with the child the more he liked her. "Thank you Father for your invitation. But it sounds as if you and NightHawk have much to discuss, I do not wish to intrude."

Xander reached around with his free hand and smacked Wintermoon in the chest, causing him to grunt slightly with the impact. "Don't be an ass Wintermoon. I can use all the help I can get. Like how am I supposed to get Soldier to your Dad's place? I can't carry him and I'm not sure he should try flying yet. I don't want him getting hurt when he tries to land." Xander smacked him again, a scowl on his face, "And don't call me NightHawk. It's Xander." Xander looked sheepishly at Starblade, a blush once again staining his cheeks, "I'd really like it if you would call me Xander too. I'm not really comfortable with that NightHawk stuff."

Starblade watched the Star-Eyed's Champion's interaction with his son with great interest. Wintermoon had been too long alone, and the Champion would need people close to him to aid him in his fight. He smiled, deciding to enlist his mate Kethra's aid in a little match making. "I would be honored to call you Xander, but I feel there is a story behind 'NightHawk' that would be interesting to hear."

Xander's face turned a deeper red, "Torture couldn't make me tell."

Soldier decided now would be a good time to open his mouth, or rather his mind. /I know all about it. And I'll tell whoever feeds me./ he broadcast, making sure everyone could hear him.

Xander sputtered, while Starblade, Wintermoon and Ghost laughed at the hawk's offer. Starblade laid his arm around Xander's shoulder, "First, let me tell you about how to deal with a trouble making bird."

**********

Xander and Ghost spent every morning for the next week with Starblade and Kethra, Wintermoon usually joining them for the mid day meal.

Ghost took to the older couple immediately, and after a couple of days relaxed enough around them to drop her shields and allow them to hear her speak. She even spoke to Soldier and Hyllarr, both birds competing against each other to see which could make her laugh the loudest.

It was one of the happiest times in Xander's life, but after he'd learned all he could from Starblade about caring for Soldier it was time for him to get to work. Wintermoon was going with him, so he had backup, that only left the problem of Ghost.

Xander didn't want to leave her, but there was no way he could take her with them. He wasn't really looking forward to telling her she had to stay behind.

Kethra found him sitting in the shade beneath the ekele, staring off into space. "Xander, what troubles you so?"

"Ghost." Kethra immediately knew what he was thinking, the closeness between the two was obvious to all. "I don't want to leave her here, but I can't take her with me. It's way too dangerous. But I don't think she's really going to understand why I'm leaving her behind."

"Starblade and I have discussed this Xander. We would be honored for the young one to stay with us while you hunt. But you are correct, as much as she likes us, she will be most displeased to be left behind when you go."

Xander plucked at the fringe on the edge of his tunic, knowing what he wanted, but unsure he would be allowed. "Kethra, do you think the Elders would let me adopt Ghost? I know I wouldn't be here much, but..."

Kethra smiled and patted his hand, "We have been expecting this and the Elders have already approved. To all concerned, Ghost is your child. She will always have a place among the people, and we will keep her safe until your return."

Xander felt the grin crossing his face slowly fade, "Yeah, that's a good, but I still have to tell her she can't go. This could get ugly. She's as stubborn as I am."

Kethra smiled at him fondly, "She does know her own mind, but it will work out in the end. Go speak to her now, spend the day together. You will need your rest if you are to leave with Wintermoon at dawn."

Xander groaned and thumped his head against the tree he was leaning against. "Why does it always have to be dawn? I am so not a morning person."

Kethra laughed and pulled him to his feet, giving him a small shove to get him moving. "Go, find your child and speak with her. We would like you both to join us for the evening meal."

Xander grinned and waved to her over his shoulder, heading off to find Ghost.

**********

Xander finally caught up with Ghost at the waterfall. She'd obviously just had a bath and was trying to brush the tangles out of her hair. Xander sat behind her and took the brush from her hand to finish the job.

/Ghost, we need to talk./

/About what?/

/Well, you know I'm leaving in the morning right?/

/Uh huh./ she sent, nodding her head in time with her thoughts. /I can't go can I?/

Xander's hands still for a moment, /No honey, you can't, it's too dangerous./

She pulled away from his hands and turned to face him, /What about you? Isn't it dangerous for you too?/

Xander pulled her into his lap, letting her head tuck in under his chin, her favorite position. /I'm the Champion of the Gods, remember? I'll be fine. Wintermoon and Soldier will be with me to help. But I need to know you're safe. Starblade and Kethra was hoping you'd stay with them until I come back./ Xander moved her back so he could look into her eyes, /And I will be back Ghost. Nothing will stop me. I promise. But I have to go take care of this. Okay?/

She nodded, tears swimming in her eyes, /You promise?/

/I promise. Besides, you're my kid, I have to come back./

Ghost's eyes grew wide at his words, /Your kid?/

Xander grinned and began brushing her hair again. /Yup. The Elders said as far as anyone was concerned you were mine./ He looked at her, his uncertainty clear, /Is that okay with you?/

He managed to stay upright when she launched herself at him, hugging him so tight he could barely breath. /I guess that's a yes./ He sent, returning the hug. /I want you to stay with Starblade and Kethra okay? Think of them as your grandparents. Then when I get done, we'll get our own house okay?/

She nodded, her still damp hair brushing against his cheek. /Does this mean you and Wintermoon are getting married?/

Xander sat her on the ground and looked at her in shock. /Where did you get an idea like that?/

She shrugged, /If Starblade and Kethra are going to be my grandparents, and Wintermoon is their son, then you two have to get married for it to be real./

/Sorry Ghost, but Wintermoon and I are NOT getting married./

/But he likes you. A lot./

/He's my friend, he supposed to like me. That doesn't mean we're getting married./

/He would like to be with you./

Xander was completely dumb founded. /Ghost, you're five. And you know how Wintermoon feels, how?/

She looked around, making sure no one else was near by, /It's a secret, you can't tell./

/Oookay... I won't tell. Now spill./

/I can feel what other people are feeling. That's why I liked you when I met you. And Wintermoon likes you, a lot./

Xander just stared at her for a minute and then shook his head violently. /Okay, not ready to deal. We'll talk about this later. Much later. Now, let's go have some fun. We have to be back at Starblade's for dinner./

**********

Xander crept out of Starblade's ekele as quietly as he could, Vkandis' Spear cradled against his chest to prevent it knocking into anything. Ghost had finally fallen asleep and he didn't want her to wake up. They'd said their goodbyes last night and he didn't want to go through that again any time soon. Actually, he never wanted to go through that 'ever' again. He wasn't sure who cried harder, him or Ghost.

Dawn was slowly creeping up over the horizon when he finally made it to the Heartstone. Wintermoon was already there with their packs and supplies, while Soldier, Corwith and K'Tathi dozed in the trees above.

Wintermoon smiled at Xander when he walked into the clearing but didn't speak. He took the spear and handed Xander a bundle of leather that matched the black leather pants and vest he was wearing. Xander looked it over and then had to ask. "Okay, I give. What is it?"

Wintermoon's voice was soft, "I made it for your spear, carrying it in your hands will be awkward. Here, let me help you with it." Wintermoon draped a leather strap over Xander's right shoulder and down across his left hip. One strap went around his waist, holding the quiver firmly in place. He put the spear in the leather sock and make sure none of the straps were binding anywhere. "How does that feel?"

Xander stretched and twisted, "Pretty good, it's not throwing off my balance at all. Let's see how fast I can get to it though." Xander grabbed the shaft of the spear just below the point and pulled. It slid out of the leather sock without a hitch. He put it back with the same ease of motion. Xander turned smiling eyes to Wintermoon, "Cool. Works great. Thanks Wintermoon, this will make my life infinitely easier."

"You are welcome Xander." A half smile on his face, Wintermoon shrugged, "Heyla. Even a weapon of the God's is of no use if you can't get your hands on it quickly." Wintermoon looked up, judging the time by the sun, "We need to move, everyone will be up soon."

"Yeah, okay. The last thing I want is to have to stand through some kind of ceremony or something. And I want to be long gone by the time Ghost wakes up."

Wintermoon hesitated, unsure if he should say anything, but decided it wouldn't hurt to ask. "Xander, my father told me that you have adopted the girl?"

Xander grinned, "Yeah. It seemed like a good thing. We're both strangers here, and she doesn't have any other family that she knows of. I asked."

"Should we go to where she was found first? Perhaps the ones that killed her family are still in the area. Seeking revenge for the harm done to your daughter will be understood by all. And maybe after they are gone she will be able to speak again."

"That is an excellent idea. You've been there, right?"

"Yes, I was with the group that found her. If we travel quickly we will be there before night fall."

"Sounds good." Xander stared up at his bond bird sleeping on a branch over his head. "Hey, Soldier! Wake up dude. It's time to go!"

Soldier opened his star filled eyes and stretched his wings, being a hawk wasn't bad. Not bad at all, at least not once he'd gotten used to eating raw meat. /Where are we headed?/

The smile Xander gave Soldier had nothing friendly about it, /We're going to go get the things that killed Ghost's family. You up for it?/

The thoughts Soldier sent back through the bond were just as blood thirsty as the look on Xander's face. /Let's do it, to it. Hard./

**********

Xander and Wintermoon pushed hard through the forest. Eating on the run and only stopping to refill their water skins. All three of the bond birds leap-frogged through the canopy, keeping watch fore and aft.

Both men were slightly amazed at how well Xander was keeping up with Wintermoon's ground eating lope. Only a little more than a week before Xander would have passed out from exhaustion after the first hour. They grinned at each other and sped up. Leaping over downed limbs and bushes, dodging around the huge trunks of the surrounding trees.

Xander was exhilarated. He'd never been this fast or moved through such a dense array of obstacles with such ease before. Both he and Wintermoon had done a little scouting outside of the Vale, but had never tried to actually travel any real distance at top speed.

Xander was busy gloating over his new found skills when an unexpected voice caused him to loose his concentration. He tripped over a small root and stumbled to his knees.

/Daddy? Can you hear me?/

/Ghost?/

Xander had to smile at the burst of pride and the sense of giggles he got with his daughter's thoughts. /Hi Daddy. Where are you?/

Wintermoon had seen Xander's fall and immediately turned back to check on him. When he reached Xander's side he was surprised to see an enormous grin covering his face. "Xander? Are you all right?"

"Yeah. Ghost is talking to me. I was so surprised I fell on my face. Guess some things never change." Xander laughed.

Wintermoon's snow white brows tried to find a new home higher up on his forehead. "Ghost is talking to you? She can reach this far?"

Xander shrugged, "Guess so. Cool, huh?"

"Amazing." Wintermoon agreed. "I know of few others that can reach this far. And none of them so young." Wintermoon reached down and helped Xander back to his feet. "What does your daughter have to say for herself?"

"She wants to know where we are. Think I should tell her where we're headed?"

"You know her best. As her father, that is your decision."

Xander felt a surge of pride at Wintermoon's words. 'His daughter, his decision.' "I think maybe we should wait. I don't want to scare her."

Wintermoon was busy checking Xander over for injuries and nodded absently. He was running his hands down Xander's legs when he felt the younger man stiffen. He looked up in confusion. Xander's cheeks were bright red and he looked nervous. Wintermoon looked back down at his hands. They were wrapped tightly around the top of Xander's left thigh. Wintermoon snatched his hands back as if they'd been burned. "I'm sorry to be so familiar Xander, I was concerned you might have injured yourself when you fell."

Xander swallowed hard. Those big hands running up the inside of his thigh had felt surprisingly good. "It...it's okay. I'm fine, really."

Ghost chose just that instant to demand to know why she was being ignored. /Daddy, are you still there?/

/Yeah Ghost. I was just, uh, I, well, I fell and Wintermoon was making sure I was all right./

Ghost felt the surge of emotion coloring her father's thoughts, she decided she shouldn't say anything. Yet. /Are you okay Daddy?/

/I'm fine, honey. Nothing to worry about. We're heading through the woods right now. I'll contact you again later, before you go to bed, okay?/

/Okay, Daddy. Love you./

/Love you too. Now go bug Rris for a while. I'm sure he has some stories you haven't heard yet./ Xander felt Ghost withdraw from his mind at top speed. Nothing got her attention faster than a promise of stories from Rris. He could make a fortune back home renting the Ky'ree out as a babysitter.

"She went to beg more stories from Rris."

Wintermoon shared a grin with the new father. Many parents in the Vale used the same tactic, and Rris loved every minute of it. "Are you ready to continue Xander? Or would you like to rest for a moment? We are a couple of marks ahead of schedule. You are doing very well, better even than most of the Vale's scouts."

Xander blushed again, this time at the praise from the older man. "Thanks, Wintermoon. I'm surprised too. It must be a side effect of the hyena. I'm good though, let's go. The more time we have to check things out in the daylight the better."

Wintermoon agreed with this plan heartily. The two men moved out, heading for the site of the attack.

**********

Xander and Wintermoon reached Ghost's former home a few marks before dusk. Situated just a short distance from the edge of the Pelagiris Forest, it was at least a days travel to the nearest village.

What had obviously been a carefully tended garden had become over grown with weeds, and many of the vegetables had gone to seed. A profusion of flowers filled the late summer air with their perfume. The drone of small insects was the only sound.

Xander pushed open the door leading into the small cottage. It hung drunkenly from one hinge, the other completely missing. Cobwebs and dust were the only occupants now. Xander felt a blind rage come over him at the sight of what must have been one of Ghost's dolls. One arm was missing, and blood stained the carefully painted cloth face. He searched the single room carefully, but there was no memento he could save to give Ghost some remembrance of happier times.

Furniture was smashed, and shredded clothing was strewn across the floor. Even all of the baked clay dishes were broken. He turned to leave and met Wintermoon coming in. "Let's go Wintermoon, there's nothing here worth saving."

"There is a root cellar and a small shed behind the house, shall we check there?"

"Show me." Xander said, following Wintermoon out into the last lingering rays of sunlight.

They were still several feet from the cellar when Xander stopped suddenly. "Wintermoon," he said in a quiet voice, "get ready. I smell something dead, I think there are vamps in that cellar. I'll open the door, you shoot what ever comes out."

Wintermoon quickly strung his bow and notched an arrow while Xander moved closer to the door covering the opening to the cellar. He got a good grip on the door and glanced back, Wintermoon nodded, ready for what ever happened. Xander ripped the door off of it's hinges, throwing it out of his way in the same motion. Vkandis' Spear was in his hands a second later. And none too soon.

Three vampires roared up out of the dank ground, clawed hands extended to grab their prey. Xander took a half step back, resting all of his weight on one leg, then lunged forward. The Spear passed through the vamp without even a hint of resistance to slow it. Xander shook the dust out of his eyes in time to see Wintermoon pick off the next. The short hunting arrow making no sound as is it buried itself to the fletching in the vampire's chest. It fell to the ground unharmed to lay in the dust that was the only remains of the vampire.

The third, being more interested in his survival than food at the moment, tried to flee. He never saw the black hawk that dove out of the darkness. An immensely strong beak tore through the spinal column, the body twitched once and then fell to dust.

Xander and Wintermoon exchanged grins, this was a good start. And now Xander had the added benefit of good news to pass to his daughter when they spoke next.

Soldier threw himself back into the sky, bitching the whole way. /I need a rabbit, that thing tasted 'nasty.' Remind me not to do that again. I'll stay up here with Corwith and K'tathi. They had the right idea, let you 'ground dwellers' deal with the dead things from now on. I am 'never' going to do that again./

**********

Xander squirmed restlessly, trying to get comfortable. He and Wintermoon had been traveling for almost two months now. They'd taken out a lot of vamps, three demons, and some change creatures he couldn't even begin to describe. All of that, and he still hadn't learned to sleep during the day.

He heard a small, contented sound and flopped over onto his other side. Wintermoon lay there, sleeping like a baby, a half smile curving his lips. Xander studied his friend, the last couple of weeks had been hard on both of them, and it showed.

The constant travel and fighting almost every night was wearing them both out. They'd lost weight, their clothes were definitely on the ragged side and they both looked tired.

Now, to top it all off, Autumn had arrived. It was getting colder every day. Wintermoon expected them to get snow any time now. They had decided to head back to the Vale, it was the closest place where they could get more supplies. And Xander really wanted to see Ghost. They talked every day, but it wasn't the same.

Xander rolled over onto his back, one arm covering his eyes to block the weak sunlight, and thought about their last conversation.

Ghost was getting pushy about him and Wintermoon. He'd tried to explain that he didn't like the other man in that way, but she didn't believe him. Claimed she 'knew' what they both felt and they were both being silly. She very calmly informed him that she needed two parents and Wintermoon was the other one she wanted. They needed to have a talk, a five year old had no business thinking about things like that.

Xander shivered, the temperature had dropped suddenly. He looked out of their tent and cursed under his breath. He shook Wintermoon, "Hey, wake up. We have a problem."

Wintermoon awoke instantly, going from sound asleep to fully alert in the blink of an eye. He joined Xander at the entrance to their small tent, the sight that met his eyes was not a good one. Snow, fat white flakes falling silently to cover the ground. "Xander, we need to tell our bond birds to fly above the storm and head back to the Vale. Autumn storms are notoriously bad. The snow may well be several feet thick before it stops."

Xander stared out at the whiteness obscuring his vision, even the huge trees only a few hundred feet away were no longer visible. "What about us?" Xander looked around their small tent, this was not a place to ride out a storm. "Will the tent stay up or should we move into the forest?"

Wintermoon shook his head, "No, we need to stay here. Visibility is almost completely gone, it is easy to get lost in such a storm. And if our clothing gets wet we could very easily freeze. This tent is small, but well constructed. It will hold, but there is not enough room for us and our birds. And they will need fresh meat, we only have dried food left. But it should last us for a week if we are careful."

Xander nodded absently, already reaching out to Soldier who was resting in the trees with Corwith and K'Tathi. /Soldier, wake up. You have to move, and now./

The bird's reply was sleepy and not really too coherent. /Xander?/ ::Yawn:: /What's wrong?/

/It's snowing, hard. You and the others need to get above the storm, now. Head back for the Vale, you weren't made to take this kind of weather unprotected. The tent isn't big enough for all of us, and you won't be able to hunt in this storm./

/What about you?/

/Wintermoon and I are staying here. We'll be fine, getting going./

/I don't like leaving you here, Ghost will pluck me if anything happens to you./

Xander laughed at the image of Soldier with no feathers, /Wintermoon knows what he's doing, I couldn't be in better hands. Head up through the canopy and get above the storm as fast as you can. The sooner you get back to the Vale, the sooner I can quit worrying about you./

Soldier headed up through the trees, Corwith and K'Tathi right behind him, /Ah, Xander, I'm touched. I didn't know you cared. Try not to freeze, blue is not your color./

/You always have to have to last word don't you?/ Xander sent, his bond bird had gotten a personality with his new body and Xander wasn't sure that was really a good thing.

/Have to keep you humble kid, we wouldn't want you to get a swelled head or anything./

Xander just shook his head and joined Wintermoon in rearranging their tent. Their packs went against the outside edge to block any drafts, and their bedrolls were piled in the middle of the small space remaining in the center of the tent.

Xander didn't say anything when Wintermoon laid their bedrolls together, making one bed out of two. Sleeping together would be a lot warmer, Xander thought to himself, and warm was a good thing.

**********

Wintermoon K'Sheyna was busy praying to the Star-Eyed. If they didn't want to freeze, they needed to share their body heat, but even thinking of Xander's body heat was pushing the limits of his control.

He pulled all of the extra clothing from their packs and piled them on top of the bed he had made. He casually pulled off his long sleeved shirt and added it to the top of the pile. He carefully arranged the clothing, using the task as an excuse not to look at Xander. "Xander, you need to strip down. If we wear our clothes to bed we will sweat and it is very easy to become chilled that way. The cold sickness doesn't give any warnings before it strikes."

Xander took a deep breath and began unlacing his tunic, trying to act like crawling into bed naked with another man was no big deal. "Cold sickness? You mean when you get so cold you go to sleep and don't wake up?"

Wintermoon nodded, eyes carefully averted. "Yes, exactly. We will be warm enough, but every so often we must redo the bedding to make sure it stays dry." He quickly undid his breeches, sliding them off and getting into the bedroll in practically the same motion. His prayer become more fervent when he glanced up to see Xander's long dark hair partially obscuring his bare chest. /Star-Eyed, please, let this storm end quickly. I am only human, I do not have the strength of a God./

He practically whimpered when he felt Xander's bare leg brush against his own as the younger man slid into the bed. He was being punished, there was no other explanation for this torture. He'd had many lovers since he had come of age, male and female, but none had ever suited him so well. He was cold, tired, dirty and hungry, but he couldn't remember ever being more content than he was just being with Xander.

He chided himself fiercely. *You are only a scout, he is the Champion of the Gods. You have nothing to offer him, and if you did, there is 'no' reason for him to be interested in you.* His heart jumped when Xander's hair slid down over his shoulder as the young man got comfortable. It was going to be a long day.

**********

Xander sighed contently, okay, he was in bed with a man. A naked man. But he was warm and finally comfortable for the first time in days. He snuggled farther down in the covers, feeling the heat from Wintermoon's body against his back. He yawned, suddenly extremely sleepy. He struggled to stay awake for a little longer, he wanted to talk to Ghost and tell her what had happened before he fell asleep.

/Ghost? It's Daddy, I need to talk to you./

/Daddy? What's wrong? You feel funny./

/I'm fine. But it's snowing really hard here. We sent the birds back to the Vale, ask Starblade to keep an eye out for them, okay?/

/Okay Daddy, but are you coming too?/

/Not yet. It's too hard to see and we're too far away to try to make it through the storm. Don't worry, we'll be fine. Wintermoon knows what to do./ Xander fought off another yawn, /I've got to go now honey, we were up all night and I'm exhausted. I'll talk to you when I wake up. You be good, okay?/

/I will Daddy. But are you sure you'll be okay?/

Xander sent a sleepy chuckle to his daughter, /Yes, Wintermoon is keeping me warm. Now go tell Starblade what happened. I'll see you soon. Love you./

/Love you too Daddy./

Xander gave up the fight to stay awake, letting the warmth against his back and the quiet sound of Wintermoon's heartbeat lull him to sleep.

**********

Ghost ran through the Vale heading straight for Starblade and Kethra, /Starblade! Kethra! Guess what?/

The elderly couple smiled at their young friend, her excitement obvious. "What is it Ghost?" Starblade asked.

/Daddy and Wintermoon got caught in a big snow storm and they had to send their birds back here. We're supposed to keep an eye out for them./

Starblade shook his head, the child could be confusing. "Why are you so excited child? Getting caught in a snow storm is not good, for anyone."

Ghost giggled and climbed up into Starblade's lap, /Daddy and Wintermoon were in bed together, he was thinking about how good Wintermoon felt against his back while he was talking to me. He said 'Wintermoon is keeping me warm.' When they get back, can we have the bonding ceremony? Then you really will be my Grandparents. And I like Wintermoon, he takes good care of Daddy./

Starblade looked over Ghost's head to smile into Kethra's dancing eyes. "I think we should wait a little while before we plan the ceremony Ghost. Give them both time to get used to the idea."

Ghost pouted, she really wanted a family again. If only Daddy wasn't so stubborn she'd have one already. A brilliant idea came to her child's mind. If Starblade and Kethra wouldn't help, she knew someone who would.

/Okay, we'll wait./ She jumped out of Starblade's lap and ran to the door, /I'm going to go see if Soldier is here yet./

Starblade and Kethra laughed at Ghost's antics. They'd become accustomed to her plans to wed her father to their son, and were all for the idea, but knew it wouldn't happen anytime soon.

**********

Ghost ran to a small clearing on the other side of the Vale. This was her special place, no one else ever came here. She sat on the ground and cleared her mind before sending out her request.

/Star-Eyed, can I speak with you please? It's about my Daddy./

Next Page